Before sitting down to read please bring your sense of humor and a strong stomach. You are free to stop reading now.
If you’re sitting on the throne as you read please remember to wipe your hands and your phone when done 😉
We find if we use the toilet as normal it can last about 3-4 days before needing to be emptied. This depends on how much fluid and solids we put in there. More importantly how much water we flush with. We can make it last a lot longer with some of the tips below.
Our toilet has a 17.5 litre tank. We have been using SCA portable toilet chemical from Super-cheap Auto, this works well for us.
10 Toilet Tips and Tricks
1. Instead of flushing every time, we use a spray bottle. Mixing water and Thetford Aqua Rinse. After having a pee you can just spray and walk away. Saving water and saving your toilet getting fuller quicker.
2. If you are a bad shot when taking a No.2 and you don’t get a hole in one, use toilet paper. Find were your drop zone usually is then put a couple of pieces of paper as an airstrip. That way when you flush it will be like a bobsleigh. sliding down using less water and less cleaning.
Alternatively you could use a toilet liners such as “happy bowl liners”.
3. Parking up for a while and not moving? your toilet chemical might not be working so well. Jiggle the cassette a bit to break it down a little. This gives you a little bit more room and spreads the chemical around.
4. Nature calling? go outside. Both sexes of course can find a spot away from the camp to have a pee. Needless to say, take your tissue away or dig a hole and burn it so animals do not dig it up. Don’t go to far away from the camp at night.
Don’t stray to far from the camp
5. Don’t want to or can’t squat in the great outdoors? you might want to try a female spout or Sheewee from TENTWORLD. Guy’s you have your own!
You can both also use a unisex urinal.
6. If the spout/funnel is something you might use but don’t have access to one. Or you still don’t want to go outside were there are lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Make your own. A bottle and a funnel and vwa’-la’. Dispose of respectfully.
Scared of the wild life?
7. Cleaning the inside of your toilet. To save water I use baby wipes with a couple of drops of tea tree oil. I don’t wipe over the seal and I put them in the bin. “Do Not” flush wipes!They block dump point.
8. Emptying your toilet. Make sure you press the round orange release button. This allows air to enter and the contents to flow out much easier.
9. Cleaning your hands. Have some wet wipes in a plastic container. The container will help stop them drying out. Add some tea tree oil or other antibacterial oil to help clean hands. You can also apply hand sanitiser.
10. Lubricate your ring. The ring seal on toilet needs to be lubricated. We use rubber grease this helps stop leaking and the flap jamming.
These tips are not for everyone as everyone is different. If you are out bush for a while with lack of water or facilities they may help
Caravan RV Camping have a variety of Caravan & camping toilets and products. Use our exclusive code and Save $30 when you spend over $500. Use the code “FULLTIME“ at the checkout to receive your discount!
Our dirty jobs
On an added note, Larry and myself have both had jobs dealing with bodily fluids before. Larry dealing with a sewage treatment plant and I as an assistant nurse. We are both happy to empty the toilet. OK, happy might not be the right word 😀
While writing this I have remembered a few different toilets we have sat on. Allow me to share our crappy photos from around the world.