Travel around 1.5 hours east from Cobar and you will find Nyngan. This was a handy town to stop for us as we needed to use the dump point. Nyngan was only around 30 minutes from our Pub Camp At The Hermidale Hotel. If you watched the 2021 season of “Farmer Wants A Wife”, you would have seen one of the farmers here in Nyngan, having a photo by the Big Bogan.
Nyngan 24 Hour Rest Area
You’ll find two long areas of flat bitumen you can park. Rows of trees and grass verges make this 24 hour stop a little nicer. The trees also separate the parking areas from the main road.
Pulling up, a few vans were already parked here and before we left a few more had arrived. It’s a busy place and I can see why. The location is handy for a walk to the shops as well as the Big Bogan.
A couple of toilets and a bin are next to the dump point as is a table and benches. In saying that, you do have to be self contained to stay here.
Nyngan 24 hour stop is also the location of the mid state shearing shed museum. This used to be an old train shed but has been transformed by retired shearers and locals. Amongst other things, shearing equipment is on display as is local art.
A short stroll away is the RSL for meals and a drink. You can also have a walk to the shops and cafe’s and of course the Big Bogan.
- Location : Nyngan
- Click for Google map location
- State: New South Wales
- Pets: Yes
- Camp type : Free camp
- Price : $0
- Water ? : Only at the dump point
- Power ? : No
- Will suit: Most sized vehicles
- Is it on Wikicamps ?: Yes
- Drive time to nearby shops: 1 minute
- Amenities : Toilets
- Other : Dump point, seating & table, museum, walk to Big Bogan, walk to RSL and Shops
- WIFI & Phone Reception – Tested with Boost Mobile: Yes – We use Boost Mobile while travelling around Australia as it has 3G & 4G coverage on the Telstra Mobile network